Community Group Spotlight: Rainbow Crows
The Rainbow Crows are gearing up to celebrate their 5th birthday in August!
Starting out as a Facebook group in 2016, the Rainbow Crows quickly accrued a lot of interest and attended Pride March and Picnic in the Park as an official introduction to Adelaide’s LGBTIQ+ community that year. With a vision that LGBTIQ+ people are free to be their authentic selves within the AFL community, the Rainbow Crows continue to offer social connections and advocate for diversity and inclusion within the AFL and Adelaide Football Club.
The Rainbow Crows:
- Provide safe spaces for LGBTIQ+ people within an AFL environment
- Build strong relationships between LGBTIQ+ communities, football clubs, and the AFL to engage those communities that had been socially excluded and encourage more active involvement
- Combat homophobia, transphobia, and other forms of social discrimination by creating positive discussions about inclusion and diversity in AFL culture
- Empower LGBTIQ+ people and provide an opportunity for queer pride in AFL culture
- Sit together as a group at AFL games, often inviting members from other community groups such as queer youth, transgender & gender diverse people, and LGBTIQ+ Aboriginal people
The Rainbow Crows host regular social events, including pre-game meetups, watch parties at pubs, and promote other local LGBTIQ+ groups. If you are part of the LGBTIQ+ community and looking for fellow AFL fans, the Rainbow Crows welcome you to get in contact with them.